Thursday, February 20, 2020

Our deepest calling /edit







Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic self-hood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought
to be. As we do so, we will not only find the joy that every human being seeks--we will also find our path of authentic service in the world.”
― Parker Palmer

☘๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒฟ


Like a wild animal, the soul is tough, resilient, resourceful, savvy, and self-sufficient: it knows how to survive in hard places.


I learned about these qualities during my bouts with depression.
In deadly dark-ness, the faculties on which I had always depended  collapsed.
-My intellect was useless; 
-my emotions were dead; 
-my will was impotent; 
-my ego was shattered.


 ...from time to time deep in the thickets of my inner wilderness I could sense the presence of something that knew how to survive even when the rest of me wanted to die. 

That something was my tough and tenacious soul.”
― Parker J. Palmer, A Hidden Wholeness: The Journey Toward an Undivided Life
๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’



Anything that’s ‘too much of a good thing’ can [cause trouble]. People sometimes want to say, ‘This is just a bad habit I have,’ but neurochemically it’s on the same level as addiction.


Whether it’s shopping, streaming, gaming, or online socializing—or any other enticing distraction—the goal is to retain a sense of agency.
☘๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒฟ
One way to tame overindulgence is to become familiar with “urge surfing,” a technique often used in addiction recovery.

☘๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒฟ

To avoid acting on potentially destructive impulses, some imagine how surfers must
trust that over-whelmingly large ocean waves will get smaller toward shore. They go to an avoidance be-havior that in-advertently starts to reinforce the compulsive be-avior they can learn to have a kind of
CURIOSITY ABOUT THE URGE, to step back a little bit and notice the sensations, thoughts, and feelings about it, they can ride it out.”  Practice is key

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dying Symptoms Of The Roman Empire/edit

Dying Symptoms Of The Roman Empire https://listverse.com/2016/10/13/10-dying-symptoms-of-the-roman-empire/ Currency Debasement....